Thursday, February 16, 2012

Filet Mignon with Blue Cheese Sauce For That Someone Special



Ok I'm sorry the picture didn't turn out as well.  My husband and I were in a hurry to eat such an excellent dinner I made for Valentine's Day this year.  I think I cut the tenderloin a little early so some of the juices ran on the plate.  It was still pretty juicy and cooked perfectly.  That red stuff isn't really blood like most people think.  I cooked this tenderloin to medium rare.  That's the only way to have steak!  In another post on here I mentioned I hate blue cheese.  I still do for the most part.  There are some ways I will eat blue cheese and enjoy it.  The most common way is if there is steak involved.  I'm super picky with how blue cheese tastes.  Well, I'm super picky with most flavors anyway.  That's what I get when I'm a super taster.  I can taste and smell things others can't.  I can tell if the milk will turn sour the next day.  I think this blue cheese sauce is one of the most phenomenal sauces ever!!!  It's even great if you stick it on potatoes or bread.  I had a croissant that I didn't really like (sorry mom!) and I put this sauce on it.  I think that croissant needed more butter in the batter or something.  When I put the blue cheese sauce on it, the croissant tasted so good!  I got these recipes from my mother in law.  She made this for Christmas for 2 years in a row now.  For those of you who don't know, Filet Mignon is another name for Tenderloin.  I have found a lot of people don't know that.  You learn something new everyday!




Fillet of Beef


  • 1 (4 to 5 pound) fillet of beef, trimmed and tied
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Place the beef on a sheet pan and pat the outside dry with a paper towel. Spread the butter on with your hands. Sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for exactly 22 minutes for rare and 25 minutes for medium-rare.
Remove the beef from the oven, cover it tightly with aluminum foil, and allow it to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Remove the strings and slice the fillet thickly.
Note: Be sure your oven is very clean or the high temperature will cause it to smoke.

Recipe from Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) on Food Network http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/fillet-of-beef-recipe/index.html


Gorgonzola Sauce
  • 4 cups heavy cream
  • 3 to 4 ounces crumbly Gorgonzola (not creamy or "dolce")
  • 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Directions

Bring the heavy cream to a full boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, then continue to boil rapidly for 45 to 50 minutes, until thickened like a white sauce, stirring occasionally.
Off the heat, add the Gorgonzola, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and parsley. Whisk rapidly until the cheeses melt and serve warm. If you must reheat, warm the sauce over low heat until melted, then whisk vigorously until the sauce comes together.

Recipe from Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) on Food Network 

No comments:

Post a Comment