Sunday, February 5, 2012

Flour Tortillas Just Like They Have in the Restaurants



This weekend I have realized that maybe I should put my favorite flour tortilla recipe up and on its own.  I put this recipe with the chicken enchiladas recipe.  I thought it would be nice to give these tortillas their own blog because they are just that good.  I craved having some flour tortillas just like in the restaurant one day and found this recipe.  Last night we just had a taco night and these tortillas made a showing.  These are easy to make.  It takes 5 minutes to mix, 20 minutes for the dough to rest and then you roll out and cook for about 2 minutes for each tortilla.  I use my handy rolling pin to flatten these bad boys out.  If you have a tortilla maker, go ahead and give that a try.


TORTILLAS

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup water to start (may need more or less based on humidity levels)

Mix all dry ingredients together. Cut in Shortening.  Add water. You want a nice round dough ball that's not real dry but not too wet that it really sticks to your fingers, so adjust water to where everything just mixes together. Cover with a damp cloth and let sit 15 minutes. Divide into 12 equal balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into about 7" flat rounds. Cook each side on medium heat until brown spots start to appear. Keep covered until ready to serve.





Original Tortillas 2 from teresa on www.allrecipes.com 
I only changed the amount of dough used per portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment