Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Nacho Cheese Dip



What kind of cheese is not yours?  Nacho Cheese!  I came a discovery all by accident.  I was hungry for breakfast burritos one morning and I wanted to do them with a cheese sauce.  I was thinking like those sauces different places put on their breakfast burritos, sandwiches and even breakfast pizza.  Much to my dismay, I couldn't find the recipe I was looking for.  I then searched cheese sauce and came across Chef John's video online.  It's a generic cheese sauce recipe that I happened to have changed a few things.  Kudos to John for teaching me the basics on this sauce!  I know I could have just tried doing something with Velveeta, but that wouldn't taste right.  Then I thought maybe using a canned cheese soup but I don't have any at home.  I took the long way and got a very pleasant reward.


NACHO CHEESE DIP


1/4 C Butter
1/8 C Flour
1 C Cold Milk
Pinch of Nutmeg
1/4-1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp. Sea Salt or to taste
6 oz. Cheddar Cheese


Make a roux by first cooking the Butter in a medium saucepan over low-medium heat.  Wait until Butter starts foaming, making sure not to brown it.  Add Flour and whisk.  Cook for 3-5 minutes for a blonde roux.  Keep whisking and add in half of the cold milk. Whisk until evenly distributed.  Add in the rest of the cold milk and whisk.  Add spices and reduce to simmer, heating for about 7 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved.  Take off heat and add cheese in 3 parts while whisking it in each time.  You may want to put pan back on heat just to make things hot again after everything is mixed well together.  Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!


Original recipe came from John at http://www.bethecook.com/recipes/Cheddar-Cheese-Sauce
I changed the cooking times, added salt, added cayenne and extra cheese while cutting the original recipe by half.


If anyone knows how to make that breakfast sauce, please let me know.  The closest thing to what I'm talking about is the stuff that McDonald's will use on their bacon egg and cheese bagels and their breakfast burritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment