Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup to Die For!



I know, I know what you're thinking.  Spring is here and you want some lighter foods to chow down on.  We have a few favorites that we like to have year round.  One of my husband's favorite foods is potato soup.  I'm not much of a soup person but I felt it was time to make something for the love of my life that he really enjoys.  I like potato soup but this time I wanted to make it my own and possibly better.  I didn't follow a recipe and just threw it all together.  I have three words for you on this recipe: OH MY GOD!!!!  This recipe is incredible! I honestly have never had a better potato soup before.  I cooked this up in the crock pot and let it stew all day while I was gone at work.  It's ok if you go above the 8 hour mark on cooking everything.  You want to add all your dairy products in the end to avoid separation.  You want the cheese to melt in nicely rather than chunk up in there.  I suggest getting a mild to medium sharp cheese.  The sharp cheeses tend to turn into large wads.  However, if you're like me and got the shredded cheese from Aldi's, the sharp cheese just melts fine.  I think Aldi's cheeses tend to be quite mild.


CHEESY BACON POTATO SOUP


4 c. potatoes, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
49.5 oz chicken broth (found in large cans)
1 tsp. chicken soup base
1 package of bacon, chopped
1/4 c. sour cream
1 1/2 c. milk
2 c. cheddar cheese
3 Tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp. ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt (or to taste)


Combine potatoes, onions, green onions, celery, garlic, chicken broth and soup base in a large crock pot.  Mix well and set on low.  Cook for 8 hours.  Fry up bacon to a hard crisp all the way through.  You want to overcook the bacon as it tastes a lot better in soup and doesn't turn rubbery.  Keep crock pot on low heat and add the rest of your ingredients.  Only heat up until the temperature you like your soup at and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment