Monday, January 28, 2013

Spicy Black Bean Soup, Step Inside And Warm Up!


This soup looks gross.  I promise you though, it is out of this world!  I received the dry mix for this soup from my brother and his wife as a gift a while back.  It has taken me so long to post this one since I misplaced the recipe.  Luckily I found this recipe again.  This is one of my favorite soup recipes.

I hope these guys forgive me as I have made slight changes to the recipe.  We didn't have mozzarella on hand, so we used cheddar instead.  I think it really worked out though.  We also added a dollop of sour cream to each bowl of soup to help cool it down a little bit.  This, of course, is optional.

Spicy Black Bean Soup

For Dry Mix, Store in Jar Until Ready for Use:

1 1/2 C Dried Black Beans

Store The Following Ingredients in a Separate Bag in Jar:

1/4 C Dried Parsley Flakes
1/4 C Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp. Chili Powder
2 Tbsp. Dried Chopped/Minced Onion
1 1/2 tsp. Dried Cilantro
1 tsp. Dried Oregano
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp. Ground Cumin
1/4 tsp. Salt
4 Vegetable Bouillon Cubes, Unwrapped

Other Ingredients Needed to Make Soup:

6 C Chicken Broth or Stock
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) Diced Tomatoes
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (originally calls for mozzarella)
Sour Cream, optional

To Make Soup, place Black Beans into a 5-6 quart pot.  Cover with enough water to cover over beans by about 1 inch.  Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes.  Turn off heat and let beans sit covered for 1 hour.  Drain off water.

Add broth, tomatoes and seasoning packet to beans.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Cover and reduce heat to simmer.  Simmer for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until beans are tender.  Sprinkle each serving with cheese and dollop with sour cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment