Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Down Home Chicken Pot Pie


One of the greatest cooking anxieties I have kept secret for a long time is to make pie crusts.  I had not made any pie crust from scratch up until recently.  I had heard many horror stories of how much of a pain it was to make pie crusts.  I decided to face my fears when it came to chicken pot pie.  I LOVE chicken pot pie.  I wanted to make some since I know the store bought ones are horrible for you.  I thought it would be good to try a homemade one.

This recipe is actually a mash-up of two recipes.  I ended up making some changes myself.  I know most chicken pot pie recipes call for peas.  My husband doesn't like peas, so I thought it would be good to exchange them for something else in this dish---green beans.

Please note that this dough recipe shouldn't be chilled.  It is much easier to deal with when it is not chilled.  Make sure dough is stiff.  Also, the cooking time for this was more like 45 minutes to an hour.  I kept the 30 minutes in the recipe in case you have a warmer oven.


Chicken Pot Pie

For Crusts:


2 C Flour
3/4 C Shortening
1/4 C Cold Water
1 Tbsp Onion Salt


For Filling:

1/4 C Butter (for sauce)
1/2 tsp Salt
Ground Black Pepper To Taste
1 Tbsp Finely Chopped Onion
1 1/2 C Chicken Broth
3/4 C Sliced Mushrooms
1 1/2 Tbsp Butter (for saute)
1 1/2 C Chicken, cooked and chopped
1 Carrot, Finely Chopped
1 Celery Stalk, Finely Chopped
1 Potato, Peeled and Cubed
8 oz Frozen Green Beans

Combine Crust ingredients in a large bowl just until mixed.  DO NOT CHILL.  Roll out bottom pie crust and set in dish.  Roll out top crust and set aside.

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees f.

In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cups Butter.  Blend in flour, salt, pepper and onion.  Gradually stir in chicken broth.  Cook, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened.  In a separate pan, saute mushrooms in 3 tablespoons of butter, then stir into saucepan.  Stir in chicken, carrot, celery, green beans and potatoes.  Mix well and pour into bottom pie crust.  Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough.  Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown, and filling is bubbly.



I have used a mash-up of recipes from both from SWIZZLESTICKS and ANTIE DI on Allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment