Friday, July 12, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


I'm not a fan of rhubarb alone.  It has to be mixed with something.  Rhubarb is great for adding a good tart element to dishes.  I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do with the massive bag of rhubarb I got from my mother in law.  She has a rhubarb plant that is basically on steroids.  The thing just grows like nobody's business!  The strawberries have been fantastic and I really like them mixed with rhubarb.  I didn't feel like making a pie, so I made this crisp instead.  It turned out fantastic!  I adjusted the recipe a little bit after reading the comments from other people.  You really have to get some ice cream for this dessert.  It's so good  when you warm up these bars and put ice cream on top.

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CRISP

1 C White Sugar
3 Tbsp Flour
4 C Strawberries, sliced
4 C Rhubarb, diced
1 1/2 C Flour
1 C Brown Sugar
1 C Butter, softened
1 C Rolled Oats

Preheat oven to 375 degrees f.

Mix White Sugar, 3 Tbsp Flour, Strawberries and Rhubarb in a large bowl.  Place mix in a greased 9x13" pan.

In clean bowl, mix 1 1/2 C Flour, Brown Sugar, Butter and Oats until crumbly.  Crumble on top of fruit mix. Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown and crisp.


The original recipe is found on Allrecipes.com by Michelle Davis.  I just adjusted the amount of fruit to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment