Friday, October 25, 2013

Popcorn Balls for Christmas


Another thing my grandma made for Christmas was Popcorn Balls.  I could eat a gallon sized bag of these in one sitting if I wasn't careful!  These are a real challenge to make.  My grandma would make these with her hands.  She told me the way she did was to let the popcorn mix cool a bit and then added butter to her hands to form these. Warning: I highly suggest getting one of those cheap pop corn ball makers (they look like hallowed spheres) if you don't have hands that are desensitized to heat.  These can give you blisters if you do it by hand if you're not careful.  A good way to go around this is to maybe treat it like rice krispie treats and spread out in a pan to cool.  I personally prefer the ball shape and am willing to burn my hands.  Please be careful, especially if this is your first time!  Again, the popcorn ball maker is pretty cheap and probably still costs about $2-$5.

POPCORN BALLS

2 c Sugar
1 1/2 c Water
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 c Light Corn Syrup
1 tsp Vinegar
1 tsp Vanilla
5 quarts Popped Popcorn, dead kernels removed

Butter the sides of a sauce pan (medium size is good).  Combine Sugar, Water, Salt, Corn Syrup and Vinegar.  Cook on stove to hard ball stage (250 degrees f on a candy thermometer).  Add Vanilla.  Pour over popcorn and coat evenly by mixing (I like to shake into a paper bag).  Let cool a little bit and shape into balls.  This recipe makes about 15-20 balls.



This is my Grandma's recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment