Sunday, October 20, 2013

Soft Molasses Cookies for Christmas


If someone were to ask me what was the most requested thing for me to make for others, I would have to say these Soft Molasses Cookies.  They are to die for!  I came across this recipe on a whim one day as a college student.  I had very few groceries back then, but for some reason I did have molasses in my cupboard.  I wanted molasses cookies so bad one night and didn't have the means to go out and buy some at the store.  I looked at a few recipes and noticed a lot of them called for shortening, an item I didn't have.  I almost gave up.  Luckily, I found this recipe online that used butter instead of the shortening.  Little did I know then that this was simply the best molasses cookie I have had or ever will have.  Most who've had this would agree.  If I were you, I would at least make this into a double batch because these run out faster than you could say yum.

SOFT MOLASSES COOKIES

3/4 c Butter
1 c Brown Sugar
1 Egg
1/4 c Molasses (not Blackstrap)
2 1/4 c Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
Granulated Sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees f.  Cream Butter and Brown Sugar together.  Add Egg and Molasses and mix.  Add Flour, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Ginger and Cloves.  Form dough into balls and roll in sugar.  Place on cookie sheet and bake for 9 minutes.  Cool done cookies and store in air tight container.



My apologies I can not find the exact person who I got this from on cooks.com.  This was from so long ago. I've searched for a while but I give them credit for this recipe.  It's the best molasses cookie recipe and I thank them for sharing it with me!


UPDATE:

If you've got extra icing leftover from those sugar cookies, you may want to try drizzling some on a few of those molasses cookies.  They look gorgeous and they still taste great!


No comments:

Post a Comment