Friday, January 3, 2014

Kiwi and Fuji Apple Applesauce


I got a new toy for Christmas.  I was so excited as I wanted a food processor for years!  Since I got it, I've been slicing, chopping and pureeing anything I can get my hands on.  The other day, I used it to make a marinade for some squash that I'd normally just chop everything up by hand and put it all together.  I told my husband that I just couldn't handle that and used that as my excuse to use the food processor.  He laughed.  When I got this food processor, I looked up some of the recipes that use a food processor.  I came across a kiwi and fuji apple applesauce recipe on Pinterest.  I made it like it said, only I doubled the recipe as it made a small amount.  I tried it and it was very tart and needed a little bit more kiwi flavor.  So I altered their recipe a little bit.  I added the sugar to calm down the tartness a little bit and I added the kiwi to give more depth to the flavor.  I hope to make a Kiwi Strawberry Fuji Apple Applesauce sometime.  I would just omit one of the kiwis and replace it with some strawberries.  The best thing about this recipe is that it's fast and tastes really fresh and doesn't take a whole lot of effort to make.  No cooking required!

KIWI AND FUJI APPLE APPLESAUCE

3 Kiwis, peeled
2 Fuji Apples, cored, peeled and chopped down to big hunks for processing
Juice of 1 Lemon
Sugar to taste (I did about 2 tsp)

Put all together in food processor with chopping blade.  Let it go until it gets blended into a nice smooth applesauce.  Then it's ready to eat!


Original recipe came from Chef Haji on tastyplanner.com.  I added a kiwi and added in the sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment