Monday, January 30, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas to Warm Up Your Day





One Day I was really wanting to find a good recipe on flour tortillas like what you can get from a restaurant.  I came across a good one on www.allrecipes.com.  I decided to give the recipe a try sinceiIt doesn't take a whole lot of ingredients to make the tortillas. I made one batch the way they told me to make it.  It was so hard to get the tortillas super thin with just a rolling pin so I just doubled the amount of dough for each tortilla.  The first batch I made didn't last long as I ate them all before my husband Dan got home!  Tortillas  take some effort but your time will be greatly rewarded.  


After finding the tortilla recipe, I had a hankering for chicken enchiladas.  I didn't want to do the ones with that red sauce.  I wanted to make the ones with the sour cream.  So, to my delight, I trolloped to www.allrecipes.com again and found this recipe.  I usually don't make a whole lot of spicy things due to my sensitive sense of taste.  But for this recipe, I felt I needed to kick it up a notch.  I later added cayenne pepper to the top.  You don't see that I added the cayenne here because I took this picture before I put the spice on.  I highly suggest you make this for dinner tonight.  This recipe is very easy and easy on the budget.  Oh and you don't have to make your own tortillas if you don't want to.  I'm sure it will be very good with store bought tortillas.  I just like to make mine special.  That and I can eat the tortillas that don't make it to the oven!


CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

TORTILLAS

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup water to start (may need more based on humidity locations)

Mix all dry ingredients together. Cut in Shortening.  Add water. You want a nice round dough ball that's not real dry but not too wet that it really sticks to your fingers, so adjust water to where everything just mixes together. Cover with a damp cloth and let sit 15 minutes. Divide into 12 equal balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into about 7" flat rounds. Cook each side on medium heat until brown spots start to appear. Keep covered until ready to serve.


ENCHILADAS

3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 cups sour cream
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
10 (8 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
Cayenne Pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, chicken, sour cream, soup, chilies, onion, pepper and salt. Spoon about 1/2 cup off center on each tortilla; roll up. Place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and dust with cayenne pepper. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.


Original Recipes for:
Tortillas 2 from teresa on www.allrecipes.com 

Easy Chicken Enchiladas from Cheryl Pomrenke on www.allrecipes.com
I only changed the Enchilada recipe by adding cayenne pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment